Author Topic: any advice on this would help  (Read 1283 times)

Offline dustinshaffer60

• Bushwacker
any advice on this would help
« on: February 14, 2014, 06:51:15 PM »
I have a kawasaki intruder 440 and suggestions on straiting this out

Offline B-Mod

• Hardcore Sledder
Re: any advice on this would help
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 07:06:26 PM »
I think the first step is to take it off the sled. Then let's see what it looks like. Sledge hammer time, or something to bend it straight. Won't know for sure till you take it off.
I once had a signature.........

Offline stuka151

• Garage Guru
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 08:14:16 AM »
It's an extrusion right? Take it off. I would probably just clamp it in a vice with the jaws at the kink and give it a pull. Go slow and don't over bend it. Aluminum work hardens really quickly so bending back and forth too much will surely crack it. Even so you might end up having to get it welded.

Offline Speed Racer

• Hardcore Sledder
  • Riding POLARIS since 1968
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 05:59:37 PM »
I've cut through a piece of 2X6 the shape it's supposed to be (or a little more) with a bandsaw and put the halves on both sides and used c- clamps to clamp them together using a hammer to help persuade it back into shape.
Proud to say "MERCDIVER was my friend"              CCVSC member since 2009

Offline chris r

• Hardcore Sledder
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 05:46:31 AM »
Basically, all metals have memory. The best way to convince metal to go back to it's original position is to reverse the order of damage. I know it sounds weird but this is what works best. The first part of that bumper to have been bent is the last part you want to work out. Continue on until you get to the original point of impact. Using the 2x6 method will help keep the shape of the original extrusion.

Most people will try to bend it straight by working the whole thing at once, or by hitting the "highest" point first. What happens is the bumper will over bend on both sides of where you're whacking on it. Then it will be a back and forth deal and before you know it, you've got it work hardened and you're out of business.

Work it slowly and reverse the order of damage. It's worth a try. If it don't work for you, I'll take the hit.

$#@$
BEER WILL CHANGE THE WORLD!

I don't know how, but it will.

Offline GHenry

• Hardcore Sledder
  • I don't always race, but when I do ... I turn left
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 10:17:36 PM »

That should buff out .................

Sorry ..... that's all I got.
As we grow older we realize that it is less important to have lots of friends and much more important to have real ones.