Author Topic: MANTA TWIN TRACK UPDATE 2/18  (Read 25037 times)

Offline Raiderfan

• Hardcore Sledder
Re: MANTA TWIN TRACK UPDATE 2/18
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2012, 07:24:39 AM »
Thank you Phil, I really enjoyed this project, except for the last month or so . A dead line really puts a damper on the fun. There's a big difference between having to and wanting to.
  I'm taking a break for a bit.   w1nc
Life's tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid.

Offline Raiderfan

• Hardcore Sledder
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2012, 07:35:33 PM »
Learned a little about the sled at the Whiteout. First I met the guy that was bidding on the sled against my friend that got it for me. First thing I did was shake his hand for quiting bidding.
  He and his brother told me that the original owner had pin striped the sled himself. As a matter of fact he over pin striped most of his stuff.
  They really liked the fact I put Dick's name on it. That was really satisfying. Better than any trophy.

Offline Raiderfan

• Hardcore Sledder
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2012, 07:40:36 PM »
 P3n All flanges are now sealed 2utp Now I know for the next time.
I think I got the caliper right this time. I need to get things moving to know for sure.

I'm having a hell of a time getting a new throttle cable made.  G%%R I think I got someone to get it done.... I hope.

Offline I like odd balls

• Trailblazer
  • Hirth
« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2012, 05:38:31 PM »
Learned a little about the sled at the Whiteout. First I met the guy that was bidding on the sled against my friend that got it for me. First thing I did was shake his hand for quiting bidding.
  He and his brother told me that the original owner had pin striped the sled himself. As a matter of fact he over pin striped most of his stuff.
  They really liked the fact I put Dick's name on it. That was really satisfying. Better than any trophy.

Over pinstriped  h.a.p.

Dick Dawson had a LOT of cool stuff in the 70s! I wish I would have taken more pics
One of those speedways is a rare 440 triple

Offline Raiderfan

• Hardcore Sledder
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2012, 04:20:39 PM »

Over pinstriped  h.a.p.

Dick Dawson had a LOT of cool stuff in the 70s! I wish I would have taken more pics
One of those speedways is a rare 440 triple

Were you the guy bidding on the Manta??

Offline I like odd balls

• Trailblazer
  • Hirth
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2012, 11:24:28 AM »
No that was my brother. There was a sign hanging over the entrance to his shop
"Dick Dawsons toy shop" I know it wasnt auctioned off. That would be a cool garage sign for you.

Offline Raiderfan

• Hardcore Sledder
« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2012, 07:43:14 PM »
Hit a local show last Saturday. No better way to spend a birthday then a nice day at a sled show and a few cold ones.
  I think I talked to 4-6 guy's that knew Dick. They had some great stories. Helping him load it up for the races with his wife, seeing him buzzing down the trail in it with a grin from ear to ear.
  Most commented on that they liked that I put his name on the sled. One guy told me that Dick would be happy the sled is restored. Got a little chocked up, I have to admit. Better than the trophy I got any day.

Almost had a little mishap with the sled unloading it. I figured I buzz the yard one time and pull in the garage. No skags so steering is not the greatest. I mat it out of the corner, just to have the throttle stick WFO. I'm glad the dirt pile is there as a banked off of that, through the weeds.  I'm also glad the juice brake works now, 10 time's the charm w1nc, As the sled, and controls are a new set up for me, gas pedal and no kill switch, just a tether. It took 50 yards or so before I got my wit's and pulled the tether.
  The gas pedal has enough side play to get wedged behind the stop.  doh. That will be fixed before any more hot laps. Boy that's a bad feeling as your trapped in there. No way you could bail.

Offline PINHEAD

• Garage Guru
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2012, 05:16:30 PM »
would love to hear that baby run

Offline Raiderfan

• Hardcore Sledder
« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2012, 06:34:10 PM »
would love to hear that baby run

Come on over. We'll have a few and inhale some av gas fumes. 2utp

Offline PINHEAD

• Garage Guru
« Reply #89 on: May 29, 2012, 07:20:42 PM »
I would love too but i was dumb when I was younger and now not allowed across the boarder.You did a awsome job on it looks AWSOME!!!!