Author Topic: 1974 Ski-Doo ELan 294 SS  (Read 9308 times)

Offline SkiDoer

• Hardcore Sledder
  • ELAN: Inspired by passion or enthusiasm
1974 Ski-Doo ELan 294 SS
« on: December 02, 2012, 09:38:06 AM »
Here it is when I picked it up.  I am the third owner, the second owner had it since it was 2-3 years old.  After putting it side by side to other Elans it appears the ski's on this 294 are longer whereby the tips are lower.  Can anyone confirm this as correct?  Was it because it was more of a racer?
All lights and switches work woohoo.  Runs good to but after it's warm it doesn't like to stay at idle..idle jet need cleaning likely.

Looks like an early production to me...  It still has the carb plate on it so it would have had twin carbs from the factory changed at the dealer??  Also, it has the same ski legs as the 73's.  My other 1974 in my avatar had the same ski legs as my 1991 and 1994 elans.  I was sure in 74 the went to different ones all the way through to 1996??

Even has the original tool pouch.

140lbs ++ in each cyl

Dual gauges, whatr a treat.  the both work and are both backlit. I imagine since the od works that 960 miles is original.

After washing and waxing it all I noticed the windshield was still hazy.  After looking closely, the 10 year old kimpex windshield stilll had the plastic on both sides lol  Mrs. Ski-Doer and I went to work...

Nephews playing.
Only those who go to far can possibly know how far one can go - T.S. Elliot.
Riding is fun!  But I can always find the time for building.

Offline brian126

• Hardcore Sledder
Re: 1974 Ski-Doo ELan 294 SS
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 09:47:59 AM »
Nice sled!
I've got a 1973 model.
I'm not shy. I'm just holding back my awesomeness so I don't intimidate you.

Offline SkiDoer

• Hardcore Sledder
  • ELAN: Inspired by passion or enthusiasm
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 12:01:36 PM »
That's a nice sled too!  Too bad they only made the trunk for one year.
Only those who go to far can possibly know how far one can go - T.S. Elliot.
Riding is fun!  But I can always find the time for building.

Offline hotdoo

• Hardcore Sledder
  • The older the odder the better!
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 07:20:03 PM »

Nice sled, I bought mine new in '74. Don't believe the 294's in Elans ever had twin carbs,they learned from the twin carb 250's the year before that they were nothing but trouble to the normal consumer. I raced mine against '73 294 T'NT's twin carbs,never got beat by them,just got roasted by the 292 Yamaha's though. Still have mine,it's my rubber track ride with MI vintage sticker.hotdoo

Offline hotdoo

• Hardcore Sledder
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 10:11:18 AM »

Here's a pic of my Elan SS this pass winter. It's all original except windshield and one change of hyflax. I bought it new,traded in my '71 440 t'nt for it,got $300 for T'NT! My dad,who bought the T'NT wasn't impressed! I've raced it,rode it hard,rode with wife with stream pouring off of slides,put left ski into a 12" culvert,ripped it nearly off. The I sold it to my cousin,when through two of his boys,that's where the windshield got busted, I bought it back 10 years later,changed the hyflax for 1st time ever,biggest problem-left side bearing came out and clutch literely fell off while wife and I were riding one night,dad didn't like the call a midnight to come get us out of woods,we walked a mile and half out to a house! So it's needs a few things,probably new seals and front bearings, I see your link plates hang way down like mine does. When I bought the sled I could smell rubber burning and sled was a dog,dealer found that my tunnel wasn't bend right and took a port-a-power with 2x4's and pushed my tunnel out so the track didn't rub at the top anymore. It's a fun sled, I'm glad I bought it back! hotdoo

Offline hotdoo

• Hardcore Sledder
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 10:13:46 AM »

Whoops!! I lied! It's not all original.The seat been redone!hotdoo

Offline Boots

• Rookie
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 08:51:28 AM »
That is an awesome clean sled! L!k3