Author Topic: 1972 Suzuki XR 400 aka: Suzi Nutsucker  (Read 8698 times)

Offline Iowaguy

• Garage Guru
Re: 1972 Suzuki XR 400 aka: Suzi Nutsucker
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2013, 05:27:34 AM »
Very nice job. I had my XR down to restore all last summer and it got neglected .......... maybe this year .

Offline CARS

• Trailblazer
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2013, 07:46:06 AM »
Flipped it over and sprayed it!!!

And cleaned up the plastic parts:

And rubber parts:

Then I tackled the gas tank:

Look what came out of the inside:

I need to replace the pick up tube.

And repair the plastic cap:

What a mess...

I drilled out the rusted tube and sanded off the solder.  I'll pick up some brake line and make a new pick up tube.

Offline CARS

• Trailblazer
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2013, 07:53:55 AM »
For some reason the pic of the inside debris didn't post:

Offline zuknomad

• 'Viceroy de Vintage'
  • Hardcore Sledder
  • ice is nice
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2013, 08:14:17 AM »
That chassis looks amazing! It's also the first one I have seen that has been sprayed in the correct off-white..., congratulations on a job well done!

Those black plastic vent and pick-up tube caps on the gas tanks, lol..., everybody always over-tightened them. Unless they were never touched, 75% I've run across have been cracked. Let me know how that repair holds up, and I'll run to the store to buy some of that glue.

Looks like that  sled sat a long, long time from the looks of the stuff that came out of the fuel tank. Worst I've seen yet, but you've got a handle on it.   2utp
'anyone can drive a new sled, it takes some dedication to run crap'

Offline CARS

• Trailblazer
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2013, 08:28:48 AM »
That chassis looks amazing! It's also the first one I have seen that has been sprayed in the correct off-white..., congratulations on a job well done!
Thanks.  You can see with the flash that the paint still has some of that green hue.  I knocked it down with red toner, but I agree that it should have it.  Now I need to take the cover from between the seat and engine and have SEM vinyl paint mixed to match. 

Those black plastic vent and pick-up tube caps on the gas tanks, lol..., everybody always over-tightened them. Unless they were never touched, 75% I've run across have been cracked. Let me know how that repair holds up, and I'll run to the store to buy some of that glue.

This isn't the first time I've used that glue.  It is really amazing.  The kit comes with powders that you can add to fill in voids and actually make small parts.  I've even tapped a repair once.  The kit was around $15.00 I think.  Kinda steep but if it can save only one part that is no longer available, it's priceless.

Looks like that  sled sat a long, long time from the looks of the stuff that came out of the fuel tank. Worst I've seen yet, but you've got a handle on it.   2utp

Thank god for poly tanks!  I think the tank would have been junk if it was steel.

Offline CARS

• Trailblazer
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2013, 09:16:34 PM »
Some more progress.

I know, I know, I should have "restored" the factory fuel pick up  L*L but that is just not going to happen.

I took some 1/4" brake line and soldered it just like the original line:

I did stray from the original configuration by using about 6" of hose and a brass (what ever you call those damn things you fish out of old fuel tanks).  My thinking is that the check valve will keep fuel in the lines...  Who knows?  I needed something on the end of the pickup.  I'm sure it had a sock of some sort originally, but in all honesty, as long as I keep the chunks out and know one can see, who the hell cares:

Fuel tank done!

Then I started on the re-assembly of the sled.

And the skis:

Before I knew it, it was 5:00.  HAPPY HOUR!!!

Offline CARS

• Trailblazer
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2013, 09:29:14 PM »
The one thing I didn't touch was the chain case.  Damn that secondary clutch was bugging me.  I didn't want to tear it down, send it out to be plated, and re-assemble it.  That would be over the top....  wouldn't it??

So I went from this:

To this:

I took surface cleaning pad to it and then gave it a light coating of WD40 to protect it from rusting.  Took about 3 minutes and cost a hell of a lot less than sending it out to be re-plated.

And here it is tonight:

Offline zuknomad

• 'Viceroy de Vintage'
  • Hardcore Sledder
  • ice is nice
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2013, 10:41:36 PM »
Real nice work, Chris.

I chuckled when I saw the new fuel pick-up, I did the new one for my mom's sled the same way with blue fuel line and Ski-Doo style anti-siphon filter this past fall. A smart move, as the Mikuni pump likes to lose pressure if idle for very long and fuel will be sucked back into the tank. Not a problem if you're riding it every other week or so, but if your not, it can.

The original filter was screwed into threads at the end of the steel tube, and was a porous bronze(?) or 'stone', for the lack of a better word. They many times were at least partially plugged, if they even managed to survive the years.

The only potential problem I noticed is that the flared nipple may be a bit too long. The inside of the tank cover could hit it or pinch the line going to the pump, but maybe you've already checked that out and know it's OK.

Your solution to making the secondary look presentable is fine. I painted my moveable sheave silver to acheive an acceptable appearance.
'anyone can drive a new sled, it takes some dedication to run crap'