Author Topic: Suzuki XR440 SM40L Restoration  (Read 11448 times)

Offline zuknomad

• 'Viceroy de Vintage'
  • Hardcore Sledder
  • ice is nice
Re: Suzuki XR440 SM40L Restoration
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2013, 08:16:40 PM »
A discovery was made today that left me scratching my head. I just noticed, after owning the sled I'm restoring many months now, that it bore no metal ID tag at the RR of the tunnel or stamped chassis number at the RF of the tunnel. My other XR440 does...

But this one doesn't even have any broken paint where the corners of the tag would have gouged a little, or in the front where the stamp would have been pressed into the steel..

I couldn't fathom how this could be, until it was brought up in another thread I started today that this could be a service replacement tunnel/bellypan, installed after a wreck, years ago.

http://www.vintagesledders.com/forums/index.php?topic=14325.msg144619#msg144619

The way the fasteners have looked, it's been on a long, long time. It makes sense, considering the damage that's been repaired on the skid frame, both by me this time, and years ago. It also seemed odd that the sled had no running board grip mats, but this would have been a different part number, and would not have been included with the tunnel...

So it seems that mystery is solved, unless it's because it was a secret test mule, not ever to be sold to the public. Of course that's what I wish it was, the story's much more fun!

Also, some very cool NOS Suzuki came yesterday...

'anyone can drive a new sled, it takes some dedication to run crap'

Offline CARS

• Trailblazer
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2013, 11:11:03 AM »
I don't see anything in that pic I need Phil   L*L 
Where is that NOS track I need?? 

Offline zuknomad

• 'Viceroy de Vintage'
  • Hardcore Sledder
  • ice is nice
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2013, 02:50:07 PM »
You just don't know you need it CARS, like those secondary clutch springs and slider shoes. Every 40 year-old Suzuki usually needs those. I actually tried the track number for the SM40..., no dice.

I have 3 spare bogie Suzi tracks, but only one is new, and it has dry rot.  :'(

Offline zuknomad

• 'Viceroy de Vintage'
  • Hardcore Sledder
  • ice is nice
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2013, 10:14:16 PM »
I pulled and disassembled the chaincase today, and it's pretty worn. The chain was running too loose; tensioner was shot. Good thing that a couple of the parts I need, that drive chain tensioner and a top sprocket, are among the parts in the find. The 18-tooth sprocket and the extra-wide tensioner were used on this year, this model, only. Mine are worn out, so lucky to have those two new spares, as well as a new chaincase cover gasket. The last person who worked on the case must have stretched the old o-ring gasket out of shape, or tore it, and the case had been siliconed back together.

I also popped the seals from the 6205 and 6305 bearings and then pulled those, plus the speedo hub 6205. I found two NOS single-shield NTN 6205 LU's that will be the front axle bearings, but am still shopping for the 6305-O open bearing. I am thinking of going old school on this bearing too, so no cheap China junk. Just need to see the right one online, with no lube, if possible.

Offline Iowaguy

• Garage Guru
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2013, 06:11:38 AM »
 2utp  as always . Go with the 1 off experimental story on the tunnel Phil  ,  you will have more fun with the critics  L*L

Offline zuknomad

• 'Viceroy de Vintage'
  • Hardcore Sledder
  • ice is nice
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2013, 07:44:12 PM »
I think I'm gonna call it ol' 202, after the only number I can find on the chassis, the bellypan ID number...

Offline zuknomad

• 'Viceroy de Vintage'
  • Hardcore Sledder
  • ice is nice
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2013, 08:02:38 PM »
A way had to be found to mount the Raider track drivers to the Suzuki front axle. They would need to be perfectly on center with the axle, as well as being aligned with each other, so that they worked in unison. The original Suzuki drivers had four 8mm mount holes each and were molded onto an aluminum hub, whereas the repro Raider drivers had six 5/16" mount holes and were not clad onto a metal hub. There were two welded flanges on the axle that matched the original Suzuki aluminum hub bolt pattern to secure the drivers to. My installation would require some sort of reinforcement around the hub of the all-plastic Raider drivers.

What I started with, from earlier in this thread...

1/4" thick steel plates matching the flanges were originally purchased from a man making reproduction Suzuki 9-tooth bogie sled drivers, these plates being intended to mount those repro's. Since the i.d. and bolt pattern of the sliderail sled drivers I had was the same as the bogie sled drivers, I figured these would work to sandwich the Raider driver to the flanges. They turned out to be just slightly larger in outside diameter than the inside diameter of the recesses in the Raider drivers. The plates would need 1/16" of diameter removed from the outside of them. The pair of them would also add 2.2 lbs. of spinning weight to the axle, and if the balance got off, could take the axle bearings out.  The plates were abandoned.

I found a man here with a small metal lathe and hired him to cut out the aluminum centers from my old Suzuki track drivers. The centers were then fit precisely to the recesses of the Raider drivers and two new 5/16" holes drilled through the UHMW plastic that aligned with two of the existing bolt holes in the axle flange and newly created aluminum plate. The other two driver holes were very close, so those holes were just slightly enlarged so that they also lined up. All fasteners were converted from  M8 to 5/16" to properly fit the Raider mount holes.

A shelled-out (9-tooth bogie) driver is included in this pic as an example of what the sandwiching plates were cut from. The old 6-tooth sliderail drivers were the actual donors...

The machinist did a great job, everything fits snugly, lines up exactly and is on-center...  2utp

Online Maj. Kong

• Hardcore Sledder
  • AKA 68colt
    • www.picturetrail.com/68colt
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2013, 01:17:49 PM »
Thanks for the update.  That looks great!

Offline Iowaguy

• Garage Guru
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2013, 02:51:07 PM »
More "NICE" Zuk  2utp

Offline zuknomad

• 'Viceroy de Vintage'
  • Hardcore Sledder
  • ice is nice
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2013, 04:25:19 PM »
Thanks for the update.  That looks great!

It's moving slow, but it's moving, Maj. Kong. And I'm glad to find a solution to the driver question on this sled. 

More "NICE" Zuk  2utp

Thanks, Kent. The machining that the local guy here did is what made this all work.