Author Topic: Suzuki XR440 SM40L Restoration  (Read 11567 times)

Online Wankel88

• Hardcore Sledder
  • Don't let your meatloaf.
Re: Suzuki XR440 SM40L Restoration
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 10:56:36 PM »
That suspension looks better than all my sleds!!  Keep up the good work Zuk!     2utp
Ice, snow, or grass, I'll kick your ass!

Offline Iowaguy

• Garage Guru
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2013, 06:47:18 PM »
That suspension looks better than all my sleds!!  Keep up the good work Zuk!     2utp

X2  2utp

Offline zuknomad

• 'Viceroy de Vintage'
  • Hardcore Sledder
  • ice is nice
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2013, 07:15:43 PM »

X2  2utp

Thanks, and I hope it works as good as it looks, guys! It should; I've tried to pay attention to detail.

Speaking of attention to detail, does anyone notice the minor mistake made during the reassembly of the rear arm?  ??hed? I didn't notice it until after the two pictures of the completed skid were taken and posted, and it has since been corrected.

Hint: Minor mistake though it was, the skid would not have been able to be bolted back into the tunnel the way it was in the two last pics...
'anyone can drive a new sled, it takes some dedication to run crap'

Offline zuknomad

• 'Viceroy de Vintage'
  • Hardcore Sledder
  • ice is nice
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2013, 01:33:09 PM »
Speaking of attention to detail, does anyone notice the minor mistake made during the reassembly of the rear arm?

No guessers, hunh? Then I'll tell you that what I did wrong was to tighten up the suspension springs with the rear arm in the retracted position it was in when the shock was installed. The rear arm cross shaft wouldn't have been able to reach the tunnel mount holes after the front arm was attached, in that position. The springs were loosened; arm was pulled rearward from the tubes, springs re-tightened.

Some work has gone on with removing the skid from the other XR 440, in preparation to rob the track from that machine for use in this XR project. Then the exhaust manifold and flexpipe, expansion pipe, secondary clutch and muffler cover were pulled on this 'good' XR to gain access to the muffler. The muffler was removed and the work of cleaning and repairing front pan damage can commence. Nice big mouse nest can go away now, too...

The hole to be repaired, along with more grass and general grunge...

Muffler is extremely rusty and outlet is damaged. Fortunately, the muffler portion of the exhaust system is common to many of the Suzuki snowmobiles, and I have a solid spare...

Offline Iowaguy

• Garage Guru
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2013, 06:20:55 AM »
  2utp

Offline zuknomad

• 'Viceroy de Vintage'
  • Hardcore Sledder
  • ice is nice
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2013, 06:56:11 PM »
Remember this old chassis, the remnants of my Nomad build, Kent...?

I saved it, after threatening to take it to scrap several times. Glad I didn't, I may not have remembered to pull this, a damage-free muffler that will fit the XR, and clean up nicely. I had plugged both the inlet and outlet, shortly after shooting the above pic 1 1/2 years ago, and no critters made their home in this...  2utp

Clean-up of the bellypan cavity that will eventually house this muffler continues...

Offline Iowaguy

• Garage Guru
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2013, 05:26:54 AM »
Thats cool Phil ....... I never throw anything away either.  You just never know when you might need it  8)

Offline zuknomad

• 'Viceroy de Vintage'
  • Hardcore Sledder
  • ice is nice
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, 09:43:35 PM »
And need it I did, Kent. Look how nice it cleaned up for paint, and the connector pipe and manifold, too...

Offline Iowaguy

• Garage Guru
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2013, 05:54:43 PM »
Very nice Phil .......... I learn lots reading your posts . I would have never guessed that the muffs were the same  L!k3

Offline zuknomad

• 'Viceroy de Vintage'
  • Hardcore Sledder
  • ice is nice
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2013, 05:29:12 AM »
What's surprising to me are the number of parts that are common between the lowly '73 SM30 292 Nomad single and the '74 XR440 twin, Iowaguy. Primary clutch (except ramp plate) is the same, exhaust gaskets, as you might imagine, most of the airbox, carb cover hoop, and even a few trim items fit both.