Author Topic: How Can I Install Reverse In A Non-Jackshaft Sled?  (Read 772 times)

Offline Dave Hunter

• Rookie
How Can I Install Reverse In A Non-Jackshaft Sled?
« on: November 09, 2015, 05:31:00 PM »
Any suggestions? Brands that came with that option for donee parts? Don't really see how a modern chaincase could be used but perhaps someone has gone that route.

Offline PolCats

• Garage Guru
Re: How Can I Install Reverse In A Non-Jackshaft Sled?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 09:07:47 PM »
68-7? Evinrudes had a fnr transmission.
"If it's Old it's Gold"

Offline Dave Hunter

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 08:04:28 AM »
yes the choices seem to be the OMC (two styles) or Ski Daddler. Also read how one brand and think it was Merc had two electric starters, one would spin the motor backwards for reverse. My motor is a 194 Hirth with electric start + two starter locations. Any backward turning starters out there? Don't think so. Anyway have a OMC transmission that is currently in Wis. getting shuttled this way that I'm picking up at the Vermont show end of February. One good thing about this brand the local Evenrude dealer still has all the snowmobile manuals on a dusty shelf at their shop that I can access. Assume this transmission is similar to the way they reverse outboard motors?
 Like always if this works great will give details, if not will be quiet about it/ change subject...

Offline polecat

• Hardcore Sledder
  • a hangnail of the fickel finger of fate
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 12:07:18 AM »
don't forget you would also have to reverse the timing to after tdc  to run anti clock wise. I believe the merc also had 2 ignition systems
i have all the answers.  i never said they were right

Online Gearfinger

• Hardcore Sledder
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 07:45:49 AM »
Only other way is use a Ski-Doo engine equipped with "electronic reverse" along with an appropriate secondary clutch. They made single cylinders and fan twins with backem-up...

Offline Dave Hunter

• Rookie
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 07:56:03 PM »
Hereís an update on how this has progressed over the past two + years......
 Worked with a OMC reverse transmission and while it has potential decided on this project to use the Arctic cat system from the late Ď90ís. Not really sure of the exact year of what Iíve got the parts were in a five gallon bucket at a swap meet for $75. Pictures donít seem to post here but will figure that out
  p1kz yes have pictures