Author Topic: The 100 mile per hour challenge  (Read 496 times)

Offline Gearfinger

• Hardcore Sledder
The 100 mile per hour challenge
« on: February 27, 2020, 03:53:18 PM »
It is said that in 1968, a Tradewinds Cheetah and rider set a snowmobile speed record of over 100mph. I challenge anyone to join in my quest to prove, at the least, this is not easily possible now and very likely not by any stretch of the imagination possible in 1968.

I'm being accused of pissing in cornflakes and not believing in Unicorns for my position on this... so be it.

Loose rules: Completely steel chassis, full bogie suspension, scissor rear axle carrier. Any modern production track, clutching and drive belt required. Two stroke air cooled 600cc limit, NA on pump gas. Drive to track on PTO side required, secondary shaft outer carrier bearing OK.

I am considering bumping displacement to 650cc. I have a nos Red Baron top end to move...

Offline Wankel88

• Hardcore Sledder
  • Don't let your meatloaf.
Re: The 100 mile per hour challenge
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 12:07:14 PM »
This is an aweswome idea. I'll have to put a fire under my brothers ass. He has a 68 TX 500 with a 594. Has wrangled up enough parts for the third carb too.  P!!mp
Ice, snow, or grass, I'll kick your ass!

Offline Gearfinger

• Hardcore Sledder
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 01:02:06 PM »
Rules have changed being it seems that it wasn't a Tradewinds Cheetah at all... not with a Hirth triple.

So: All steel chassis, 800cc limit, any two stroke air cooled normally asperated production snowmobile engine. No squirt. Full bogie suspension with scissor rear axle carrier. Spindle spreading ok. No rail and wheel suspension.

Offline Shawn

• Hardcore Sledder
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 11:53:21 AM »
I expect it'll take a year or more to complete the project ? The son of the man who made the 1968 speed runs with the Tradewinds Cheetah is going to replicate the '68 machine as best he can and speed run it. They're currently in the parts gathering stage of putting together a 793 Hirth Honker. Far as I recall from seeing a newspaper clipping some years back the 1968 100+ mph speed was by both Chrondex timing and the local police radar stated to have been legitimate. The 793 Hirth burned a mix of methanol and nitromethane while making more than 100 horsepower according to the newspaper article. I look forward to seeing the project completed and watching it do whatever it does.   

Offline Gearfinger

• Hardcore Sledder
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 01:50:56 PM »
So, then it had fuel injection too? Alky+Fuel=mucho corrosive. Carbs can't deal with that...

Also, there was a set of drag strip timing lights and a police radar set up that requires two cops and their respective equipment...

Cuz hand held radar wasn't around until 1972.

Offline Shawn

• Hardcore Sledder
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 12:30:06 AM »
I was simply passing along what I'd seen in an old yellowed newspaper clipping and some pictures an old man showed me at the Iola car show. Pic I saw of the Honker tunnel mounted on the Tradewinds showed three crudely constructed expansion chamber pipes and three Tillotsons. No fuel injection. Garlits went 176 mph feeding 100% nitro through Stromberg 97's in 1957. Properly prepared carbs handle fuel no problem. People have been getting speeding tickets from cops using doppler effect radar guns since 1949-1950. As for timing equipment used at speed runs it seemed fairly normal even at small local events. Maybe Tradewinds being owned by Outboard Marine Corporation could afford to have their own setup ? What I do know is there's a plan for the son of Karl Dretzke to build a Tradewinds Cheetah with a Hirth 793 Honker on it to run at the 2021 Manawa Snodeo and try to go 100 mph. Mike at Wienandt Performance Technology will build and dyno the Hirth Honker. Tonight he showed me the dyno sheet from one he built some years back and it made 91 horsepower on gasoline at 8,500 rpm's. I suspect if it was fed nitro it might make the 9 more horses to crank out 100 ? Their plans don't currently include nitro but maybe Mike can step it up to get 100 HP on gasoline ? I look forward to watching their progress and am rooting for them to go 100 mph. Just the fact a guy wants to try and reproduce what his Dad once did for the sake of nostalgia is something I dig.   

Offline Gearfinger

• Hardcore Sledder
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 09:03:05 AM »
Hand held radar 1972. Before that two cops, two cars etc.

If you want to argue, it won't be anymore from me. Most everything about this thing is a lie.

Offline Shawn

• Hardcore Sledder
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2020, 01:00:11 PM »
Well if things go as planned by this time next year we'll know the outcome. Didn't mean to provoke negativity. Be smooth and be blessed.

Offline Gearfinger

• Hardcore Sledder
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2020, 02:08:44 PM »
No problem. If you feel the need to start a conversation about that, just start a thread.